If we can encourage others, we should encourage them.
~Romans 12:8

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

God wants us to fight

A Message from Anointed Messenger


I'm not talking about being violent or fighting with people; I'm talking about fighting for the things God wants us to have. In my last blog post I talked about having the courage to try again. After lots of disappointment and setbacks I had become rather complacent in certain areas. My get up and go had gotten up and went. Learned helplessness is when creatures learn through experience that what they do doesn't make a difference. Initially they try and fail, but after many failed attempts eventually they stop trying.


I think the man by the pool of Bethesda mentioned in John 5 may have had a case of learned helplessness. He came to the pool for healing, but being an invalid someone always beat him to the healing waters. He probably came to the pool full of hope, but 38 years later he was still there, still crippled, and still waiting. When Jesus found him in this sad state he didn't coddle him. He didn't say, "Poor man, here's your reward for waiting." Jesus questioned, "Do you really want to get well?" and said "Get up! Pick up your bed and walk!"

God wants us to fight for what is rightfully ours. Not for entertainment like someone watching a pay-per-view boxing match; but I think it makes God proud when we show ourselves as warriors. And it makes us feel better about ourselves. There's a different feeling about something you fought for versus something that was handed to you. People are not so quick to walk away from something they fought for, just as the pains of childbirth are the high cost that make that baby even more precious.

God doesn't want us to become passive in our situation. We have to understand the difference between being a peacemaker versus passively accepting whatever life hands us. The bible has so many stories about God's people fighting. The Israelites fought for their Promised Land. David fought for his kingdom. Sometimes the fight is against pain, discomfort, and the desire to give up. Jesus fought through all the suffering and humiliation of the cross for our salvation. I even had to fight just to share this message.

Like it or not there is a spiritual war going on. The Good News is God wins. Zechariah told us in chapter 10 that the enemy is doomed because God is with His people - fighting for them. The purpose of the fight is not to "pay" for what we want; but to make us warriors. God wants us to be people who don't give up; people who are 80 years old and like Caleb say "I'm still strong and I'm still ready to fight for what's mine".

I love this scene from the movie Mulan. She was about to go home defeated, but a warrior mentality rose up in her and she fought to stay. She tried again and succeeded. Let us do likewise.


Lord 
Give me the courage and strength to fight for what is rightfully mine. Do not let me get weary in well doing. Because of You I am well able to defeat whatever opposition comes against me. Father give me what I need to keep fighting until my victory is won.


This blog post is found at 

2 comments:

  1. This gives me courage to keep on keeping on! Thanks so very much. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are very welcome, and thank you for sharing!

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment. Your feedback is welcome.

Anointed Messages Sermon Notes

.