If we can encourage others, we should encourage them.
~Romans 12:8

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Getting Over the Hump

Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”
Matthew 17:20b NIV


A Message from Anointed Messenger


It's very appropriate that God gave me this message on the day of the week we call Hump Day. I was thinking about how I drink water almost exclusively. Not because I have to, but because I want to. This was not always the case.


I think back to when I used to drink pop and flavored sugary drinks. Way back then water seemed boring. I wanted to drink something with some flavor to it. At times I tried to drink more water but I wasn't satisfied. But soda pop made my skin break out, and I knew I needed to drink more water. Finally I committed to drinking more water; and when I did, an interesting thing happened.


First, let me say it was difficult for a while. Initially I still found water boring and tasteless. I had to go through a challenging phase of denying myself what I wanted, and making myself take what I needed. Once I got over that hump things got much better. I found that I longed for water, and nothing quenched my thirst like water. I realize now that my taste buds were perverted back when I craved all those sugary drinks. No way did they quench my thirst like pure water. Now I love water, and I enjoy the taste of my food more. Every now and then I'll drink something else, but water is my preference.

This made me consider how often we give up on choices that are good for us because we aren't willing to get over the hump. We tell ourselves things like, "This is too hard", and "I can't live like this - always denying myself", etc. Although I did go through a period of denying myself; I don't feel like I'm denying myself now. Once I purified my body and developed better habits it was easier. What was once a chore is now a pleasure.


Just as people with addictions go through withdrawal before they get better; we sometimes have to go through periods of difficulty before things improve. The thing to remember is that it does get better. We can form new habits. We can make better choices, and it can become a lifestyle rather than a hardship. I rode my exercise bike at a certain level for a long time, and it was challenging, but suddenly one day it was easy. I had gotten over the hump, and was ready for the next level.

God's Beloved, I pray you won't give up when life requires you to get over a hump. Just because something doesn't come easily doesn't mean that it won't come, or that it isn't worth the effort. A hump is nothing more than a small hill; and we were made to conquer mountains. 

Lord I am grateful that trouble doesn't last forever. Help me persevere with you through difficulties, knowing they are temporary. Help me let go of toxic habits, attitudes, relationships, and substances. Help me stick with You as You develop better habits and attitudes in me. I thank You that You have given me the fortitude I need to get where I need to go. When I'm tempted to give up, give me the grace I need to go on. Help me ignore the lies telling me I cannot do it; and help me come into agreement with Your Words which assure me I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.


I hope this music video blesses you;
it's not gospel but it is inspirational.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. Your feedback is welcome.

Anointed Messages Sermon Notes

.