If we can encourage others, we should encourage them.
~Romans 12:8

Monday, September 22, 2014

Gossiping With God




A Message from Anointed Messenger

gossip
•    n.noun
1.    Rumor or talk of a personal, sensational, or intimate nature.
2.    A person who habitually spreads intimate or private rumors or facts.
3.    Trivial, chatty talk or writing.
4.    A close friend or companion.
5.    A godparent.
•    intr.v.
1.    To engage in or spread gossip.



A common issue I see in the body of Christ is people sharing others information of a personal nature, usually for the purpose of prayer. You may be thinking, “Isn’t that a good thing?” It can be, but the problem is when we share others personal information against their wishes and without their consent. I totally get the rationale behind it. Christians know there’s power in prayer, and believe the more people praying the better. [Matt 18:20] Also we don’t think sharing others’ private information is gossip when our intentions are good. But gossip is defined as rumor or talk of a personal, sensational, or intimate nature. It doesn’t have to be spread maliciously in order for it to be considered gossip.

It’s very common for us to ask for names and details when praying for others. I’ve done it, and others have done it with me; but if we’re sharing information of a personal nature we need to make sure we’ve gotten that person’s consent first. It may feel like the right thing to do to share that person’s name and details with others as we come before the throne, but the truth is I can’t find anywhere in the Bible where it says to pray for people by name. What the bible does say is the Holy Spirit perfects our prayers – and even if we utter wordless groans God knows our hearts and what we need [Rom 8:26-27]. The important name to share is the name of Jesus.

Why is this even an issue? Am I trying to discourage prayer? Not at all! The more people praying for someone the better; but we need to be people whom are trustworthy and accountable. I knew of a pastor who casually shared information confided with him with others in the congregation. Everyone knew about one lady’s mental health problems. Do you think others in the congregation were quick to confide in that pastor?

In some families the philosophy is “Your business is my business, so I’ll tell whoever I want”. Many adopt this attitude about the family of God also. But let’s make sure we’re not hurting another person nor betraying a confidence first.


God’s Beloved let us remember that God already knows all the details. Let’s try to be sensitive and compassionate with others personal information. Yes, pray for others; and if you have permission share; but only share what the Holy Spirit releases you to share.


Lord
I am grateful that You are always interceding in our prayers. I’m glad that You already know all the details before I even approach Your throne. Please give me a warning before I share any information that would be displeasing to You or hurtful to someone. Let me be a person people can trust, and let my words and prayers be edifying. Father give me discernment in knowing whom to trust with my issues and prayer requests. I am grateful that even when I can’t talk to others, I can always talk to You.


In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.
Romans 8:26-27 NIV

Make it your aim to live a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to earn your own living, just as we told you before.
1 Thessalonians 4:11 GNT


REFERENCES FOR YOU
Here is an article about the basics of prayer - loaded with bible verses:
Basics to Prayer

Here is an article full of bible verses about praying with others
What does the Bible say about praying with others


2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! I appreciate it so much. May God continue to bless your ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much friend! I'm so glad you appreciate this message. To God be the glory!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. Your feedback is welcome.

Anointed Messages Sermon Notes

.