If we can encourage others, we should encourage them.
~Romans 12:8

Monday, March 23, 2015

What You're Looking For

Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, "Surely the LORD is in this place, and I wasn't even aware of it!"
Genesis 28:16 New Living Translation


A Message from Anointed Messenger for You


Recently I saw the movie Annie. My Mom took me to see the musical as a child, but it had been many years since I'd seen it. Most of you are probably aware of the story of the little orphaned girl who lives a hard-knock life.


 

In the beginning of the movie Annie was determined to find her birth parents. Abandoned as a baby, all Annie had was a locket and a note. In the note her parents said they'd come get her someday. Annie held on to that promise so tightly that she let nothing deter her. She waited outside a certain restaurant every Friday night for hours, hoping to connect with her parents.
John 14:18

At that point I envied Annie. Oh to be that driven again. I told God that after so many things didn't turn out as I hoped and envisioned; I no longer felt that same kind of drive and passion. God used the movie to minister to me. Annie had an opportunity to be adopted by a kind, wealthy man. He saved her from the hardships of foster care and exposed her to a world of possibilities. Even though Annie felt a strong connection with the man, she was determined to wait for her birth parents to come get her.


The movie reminded me that sometimes we don't get what we want, we get something better. Like Annie, maybe you've been hanging on to promises, waiting for people that have passed away or moved on. I too, had promises, and notions about how things should happen, and felt disappointed that things went differently. But when I "woke up" and looked around, like Jacob [Genesis 28] I realized God was in it all. My "mess" led to many messages that encouraged others, and therefore my waiting was not in vain. Like Annie, when I stopped focusing on what I thought I wanted, I was able to recognize and appreciate the blessings God had brought me.

I have a friend who believed for the complete healing and restoration of her bedridden son. Despite many years of faith and waiting and trusting and sacrifice and confirmation - he went home to be with the Lord. Now no one really knows exactly why, but I do know that it wasn't all in vain. She is now a compassionate minister who truly understands the brokenhearted.

God's Beloved sometimes it looks like we're headed one way, but circumstances suddenly shift in another direction. Don't get stuck on what you thought would happen. Some experiences are necessary to shape us, and prepare us for better when it comes along. Some of us have been at our mountains long enough, and it's time to move on [Deut 1:6-8]. Some of us need to perfect the art of bouncing back. Some are driven but need to move over and let Jesus take the wheel. Some don't realize that over time their faith has shifted from being in God, to a particular promise or goal. Let us seek first the Lord and His kingdom — not His blessings, promises, nor our dreams. I pray that you won't miss the blessings God wants to give you; many are right in front of you.

Lord
Help me to walk by faith and not by sight; but don't let me miss the blessings that are right in front of me.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. Your feedback is welcome.

Anointed Messages Sermon Notes

.