If we can encourage others, we should encourage them.
~Romans 12:8

Friday, April 4, 2014

Overlooking Those Whom Overlook Us



A person’s wisdom yields patience;
it is to one’s glory to overlook an offense.

Proverbs 19:11 NIV

A Message from Anointed Messenger


The other day I was unloading several bags from my car. I have to walk up the stairs and past my neighbor's apartment to get to my second floor unit. I was annoyed as I had to struggle to get past the enormous clutter they had on the common walkway. I had to make several trips so I was annoyed each time.


After unloading, I got my mail and returned. Now my neighbors had completely blocked the passageway to my door. Are you kidding me? I called out "Excuse me" to the neighbors whose door was now wide open. They seemed startled and apologized as they began moving the troublesome items.

From Irritated Babies
This made me think about how easily people get caught up in their own issues. From my point of view I wondered how anyone could be so inconsiderate as to completely block the common area. My apartment is right next to theirs and close to the stairway.

Even though these neighbors were inconsiderate they weren't malicious. They are just a young couple with a baby, so caught up in their own issues they weren't thinking about the fact that they aren't the only ones who live here and use the common areas. The Holy Spirit encouraged me to be kind to them, because it is my love - not my irritation - that will make things better. When I told them how cute their baby is, etc., they were motivated to be more considerate of my needs.

God's Beloved when others mistreat us they often do so without malice. They aren't intentionally overlooking us. They're not cruel; they're thoughtless, and consumed with their own issues. Let us be salt and light and overlook them when they fail to recognize our needs. Let's approach them with love and encourage them to come up higher. After all, we have to forgive those who intentionally mistreat us as well.

Heavenly Father,
Help us forgive others when they can't see past their own issues to recognize ours. Show us when people intend us no harm so we can respond appropriately. Give us grace to overlook offenses. Help us show kindness and forgiveness to all people, whether they intend to hurt us or not.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this truly beautiful demonstration of "loving thy neighbor" I am sure it pleases God even more. May you be continually BLESSED!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just shared this on Twitter...thank you for a healing message...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Cheri, thank you for sharing!

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment. Your feedback is welcome.

Anointed Messages Sermon Notes

.