If we can encourage others, we should encourage them.
~Romans 12:8

Friday, April 11, 2014

Different Strokes

A Message from Anointed Messenger


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0CYJNw9YJQ


We have many parts in the one body, and all these parts have different functions. In the same way, though we are many, we are one body in union with Christ, and we are all joined to each other as different parts of one body.
Romans 12:4-5 Good News Translation


What you talkin' 'bout Anointed Messenger? Not the eighties sitcom, I'm referring to the idiom "Different strokes for different folks". It means different people do things differently, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I have a friend who is a professional writer. She is a master editor, and writes a lot of technical material. She also journals and writes devotionals. Like me, much of her devotional material comes from her journals. She shared that God told her what she writes in her journal is for herself, and she should take that material and edit it before she shares it with others.

Me, on the other hand, God often calls to share my journal entries "as is", faults and all, with minimal or no editing. I think it gives the reader a glimpse into something very real and personal; and takes them through an intimate process with me.

Both my friend and I make sacrifices in sharing. She puts forth effort in editing, and I put forth effort in sharing very private moments - not always an easy task for a private person. My friend follows the instructions God gave her; and I follow the instructions God gave me - and God gets glory from both. When we obey our individual instructions we both do well. People respond very well to my journal excerpts, as they do to her well-edited devotionals.

As long as we follow our individual instructions I believe we will both do well. There is a place and a need for both of us. I think the trouble would enter if either of us tried to make our individual instructions a universal law. If I tried to insist she share her journal entries as is, or she contended all writers must edit journal entries, then we would be out of God's will.

Denominations, rifts, and factions start when people assume others are doing things wrongly because they are doing things differently from the way God is leading them. We must remember that we are all individuals with different destinies; therefore God will lead us all differently.



I was meditating on all this when several people told me how much they liked my hair. These were total strangers of all different backgrounds. The shocker is my hair was in a state of neglect. Sometimes I get too sleepy to moisturize and condition my hair as I should; and my thick curly hair requires a lot of moisture.

On this occasion it was dry, it was unruly, it was wild, and it was tangled. It was somewhat reminiscent of the heroine in the animated movie BRAVE. Yet everyone loved it.

I asked the Lord why that was and the Holy Spirit said "THERE IS BEAUTY FOUND IN IMPERFECTIONS". It was a reminder that we are all imperfect, and we are all beautiful. I was getting a better response letting my hair "naturally do what it wanted to do", versus when I spend lots of time trying to make it fit some universal standard.

God's Beloved, God made us all different, and God made us all beautiful. When we celebrate our uniqueness according to God's will; others will be blessed and God will be glorified. When we see God leading someone in a different direction than He is leading us, let us remember it takes different strokes to move the world.
 

Gracious Lord
Each and every one of us is fearfully and wonderfully made. Help us to appreciate and celebrate our differences. Help us to obey the instructions You give us; while recognizing You may give different instructions to others. Help us journey whatever path You lead us through; while respecting the path others take.



“My imperfections are not obstructions, but opportunities for Jesus’ grace to shine through.”  
Sharie King

2 comments:

  1. This is positively AWESOME!!! It should be read by ALL and heeded by ALL!
    I love it and get comfort from knowing that God loves us as he made us. May God continue to bless your ministry and bless others through your sharing it with them.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. Your feedback is welcome.

Anointed Messages Sermon Notes

.