If we can encourage others, we should encourage them.
~Romans 12:8

Monday, November 26, 2012

Landlord versus the LORD of all lords 11/26/12

Here is an excerpt from my journal. My experience with my landlord made me think about the LORD of my life, and how much faith and trust I have in Him to take good care of me. I hope it will encourage anyone who is thinking about taking matters into their own hands.


Another thing that encouraged me is I called the apartment office twice about getting my leaky faucet fixed. I spoke with Mary [not her real name] both times. The second time I called back and clarified that it wasn’t just a drip; it’s a leak that’s releasing a steady stream of water which is surely running up the water bill. I didn’t want them to think it’s not a priority and wait days to get to me. When time kept passing I decided I would run to Walmart or the hardware store and get a new faucet. That old faucet is so rusted and ugly I thought this is a good chance to get it replaced.


I threw on some clothes and stopped by the office to tell Mary I was going to buy a faucet and for maintenance to wait for me to come back. Mary said I didn’t have to do that and she called maintenance about replacing it. She was speaking in Spanish so I didn’t understand everything she said but she told me. I was reticent, thinking I didn’t want them just replacing the rusted part or swapping my faucet for another old raggedy faucet. I want something new and pretty. I told her that I’d rather just get a new one because the faucet is old and even when I try to clean it parts of it I can’t get to still look dirty. She said “No you don’t have to buy one; we’ll get you a new faucet.” So they ordered the part while I was there. I will have a brand new faucet soon but I have to wait for it to arrive. Meanwhile my sink is still dripping but knowing it’s coming makes me feel better.

So I thought about my life. I haven’t had much success with the landlord. They don’t do repairs when I ask them to, and often they don’t do a good job. They seem quite content to let me live in poor conditions. I was tired of going to them and having to nag them just to get things fixed. They really haven’t seemed very competent or caring about my living conditions. Fed up I decided I would handle things myself. I know it’s their responsibility to fix and replace things but I don’t have faith they will based on my past experience. Well the truth is I was feeling like that regarding my relationship with God. He is the Lord of my life, but I wasn’t pleased with the condition of it. I turned things over to Him but I was at a point where I felt like if I want things to get done I need to do it myself. I think this miraculous cooperation from the apartment management was God speaking to me.

Just like with the management I stopped asking Him for a lot of things because it didn’t seem like answers came; or they came in such a way that I wish I’d never asked. I think God was saying don’t give up on Him and trust Him to be the LORD of my life. Trust He will do what He said He’d do. I was so surprised by management’s response I even said “you have not because you ask not.” Mary just laughed, but I really had given up on them; and I guess in some ways on what God was willing to do for me. It’s funny because I was determined to buy my own faucet. I kept saying "I'll do it" and they kept saying "We'll do it." It would have been easy for management to let me; it would save them money after all. I was blessed and encouraged by their insistence on stepping up as landlord. Thanks Goddy. I’m very curious to see what kind of faucet I will receive and when it will arrive.

29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
Matthew 10:29-31 
 
 Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
Luke 12:6-7 

But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.
James 1:6-8

You do not have because you do not ask God.
James 4:2b

These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.
Revelations 17:14
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. Your feedback is welcome.

Anointed Messages Sermon Notes

.